Monday, December 15, 2008

Simple "Quilted" Christmas Stocking


So, in the aforementioned Better Homes and Garden issue, they showed some beautiful white matelasse stockings. I decided to get some matelasse pillow shams at TJ Maxx and turn them in to stockings, but alas, the closest they had were these quilted shams for $12.99 each. Close enough.

I love how the stocking turned out! All I did was: (1) cut off the muslin back part of the sham (cheesy thing wasn't quilted all the way around); (2) trace around another stocking onto the wrong side of the sham, leaving a .5 inch seam allowance; (3) fold over and cut out two stockings; (4) make a small tube with left over fabric to use as the loop for hanging; and (5) sew right sides together and then turn right side out. The whole process took less than an hour, and that was interrupted several times. I'm going to make another one tomorrow, and I'll try to get a better photo than this one.

4 comments:

Grammy said...

WOW, WOW, WOW. My child truly is the most amazing Queen of Crafts. However, I think this to be more on the artistic side. Congrats, I'm so proud of you. I want one!!!!!

Veronica said...

Beautiful! You make it sound easy. But I'm sure I would manage to break a sewing machine and ruin the fabric in one step. ha ha!

Unknown said...

Brilliant idea!! So easy. . .

Mel said...

you are so good. it's gorgeous!