Monday, March 1, 2010

Sweet Photo Frame How-To


Want a fun and easy (and inexpensive) gift? Well, here you go. You will need:

Unfinished wooden frame (I got this one at Michael's for $1)
Craft paint
Fabric yo-yos (made with fabric scraps, needle and embroidery floss)
Hot glue gun
Hard Coat Mod Podge (optional)
Acrylic sealer (optional)

1. Start by lightly sanding and painting your frame, front and back.
2. Once paint dries, coat frame with Mod Podge (I like the hard coat version for this project) and acrylic sealer if desired. Let all of that dry overnight.
2. For the embellishments, you'll take fabric scraps and make some yo-yos. All you need is a circle template for cutting your fabric, a needle and some thread (embroidery thread works really well). There are LOTS of free tutorials on the internet showing how to make a yo-yo. Here is one I like; and here and here. And you don't need to invest in one of those plastic yo-yo templates that are sold at quilting shops unless you want to. I took a 5.5-inch diameter spool of ribbon and used that to trace circles onto fabric scraps with a disappearing ink fabric marker, which I then cut out.

3. Attach the yo-yos to the frame with hot glue. And there you have it!
PS -- If you use the $1 Michael's frame, you should know that it doesn't have a glass or plastic insert to cover the photo! Well, I guess for $1 I shouldn't have been surprised. I'll probably salvage something from an unused frame.


13 comments:

Unknown said...

please come to my house so your craftiness can rub off on me just a teeny tiny bit!

Crystal said...

Love your blog! This frame is too cute! I'm gonna make some to go in my daughters room! Check out my blog i'm hosting an 8 day giveaway!

The Oxford Family said...

So sweet! This would look great in my daughters room! THanks for sharing!

Jenn said...

I have always loved yo-yo's! Thanks for sharing your beautiful project. You have a great blog!

Christina said...

I don't know if I can stand the cuteness!

Julianna said...

Looks like a great Mother's Day gift!

Katie said...

Oh my gosh I'm lovin' it and totally having a why didn't I think of that moment. So cute and a great way to use up scraps.

Unknown said...

Very cute! I featured these in my Friday Favorites. Stop by and get an "I was featured" button! ~Lanie J.

Unknown said...

LOVE. Ashley, you are a genius. How are upset are you that Jakey picked Vienna??!

Unknown said...

LOVE. Ashley, you are a genius. How are upset are you that Jakey picked Vienna??!

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Oooh, I love the yoyo frame...it's just as cute as can be!....off to make some colorful yoyow!
Smiles, Karen

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

This is cute. My oldest daughter just told me she wants to be a picture frame decorator when she grows up so maybe I'll have to do this with her!

Mrs.Kwitty said...

What a cute idea!! I love yoyos and this is such a cute use for them. Thanks for sharing :o)
Smiles, Karen