Friday, October 31, 2008

This Is How My Internet Time Gets Eaten Up

I am obsessed (I'm a passionate person, have you noticed?) with the blog formerly known as "Apartment Therapy Nursery" and now known as Oh Dee Doh. It showcases all things modern, retro-modern and postmodern for babies and kids. I hadn't been by for a few days and when I checked today, I saw this unbelievably cool dollhouse someone built, modeled on the Farnsworth House by Mies van der Rohe. I was intrigued and wondered if other modern masterpieces had been made into dollhouse and/or dollhouse furniture. So then I stumbled upon Mini Modern, an entire blog devoted to miniature mid-century modern houses and furniture. All of which made me think, "hey, I think I'll look at some pictures of famous houses." (See below). Sigh. This is why I can't get anything done! And so....

Richard Morris Hunt's Beaux Arts masterpiece, the Vanderbilt Marble House in Newport, Rhode Island.


Le Corbusier's International Style icon, Villa Savoye in Poissy, France.


Pickfair, the former hunting lodge meticulously rebuilt into a Hollywood mansion by architect Wallace Neff for silent film stars Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford.



The now-ubiquitous (but still spectacular) Fallingwater, the weekend home built by Frank Lloyd Wright in Mill Run, Pennsylvania, for the Kaufmann family.


Andrea Palladio's classical masterpiece, which is in my opinion one of the most perfect and beautiful structures ever built, the Villa Rotonda in Vicenza, Italy, designed by Palladio in 1565 for Fr. Paolo Almerico and finally completed in 1591.


By the way, when I went to find the picture of Pickfair, I happened upon this cool site that features photographs and renderings of the homes of the stars of early Hollywood.


No comments: