Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Craft Room Part One And Banner How-To


Welcome to your tour of my craft room. Since I am only able to keep one section clean at a time, each section is going to require its own blog post (i.e., week of organization). Here is the little area where I do my computer printing/copying/enlarging, etc. I have an HP 4-in-1 that works okay for most things. Next to that is my little Ikea box that holds all my stickers. Next to that are a couple of magazine files I got a few years back at Target. They hold all my printing media, like cardstock, transfer paper, full-sheet labels, etc.

Banner How-To

I made a little banner to tie everything together, and it was super easy. I used double-fold bias tape because that is what I had on hand, but you could just as easily use single-fold bias tape, twill tape or even a long piece of ribbon if that's what you have handy. I will say that the bias tape is nice and firm and makes a lovely curve that lays flat against the wall. Next, Google "isosceles triangle" and print out whatever image comes up! That's what I did, then enlarged it, cut it out, traced it onto cardboard to make a template and cut out the template. After measuring the length of the banner and determining how many triangles I would need, I traced triangles onto ten fabric scraps with a disappearing ink fabric marker and cut them out. I laid the bias tape out across the ironing board. Then I took a roll of double-sided fusible web -- the really narrow kind -- and cut a long piece of it, which I then cut lengthwise. Then I laid that on the inside of the bias tape and stuck my triangles on top of it. Then I laid the other half of the fusible web on top of the triangles and pressed the bias tape closed on top of it. This way, everything stayed in place while I ironed and sewed the banner, and it gave the bias tape some additional heft. Once everything was ironed down, I sewed the length of the banner with a zig-zag stitch. I hung it up with push-pins. It was so easy, and I love how it turned out. I'm sure I'll be making a lot more banners!

3 comments:

nap time journal said...

I love how cute and how easy the banner is! Thanks for sharing!

Bizzy B Creations said...

LOVE the banner...too cute!!

Claire Mercado-Obias said...

Hi Ashlee! Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving those lovely words =) You are one amazing crafter! I love this festive banner!